King County Rent Help Resources

Last updated: March 2, 2023

The below resources are for residents of King County in Washington State, who have fallen behind with rent and are looking for financial assistance, who want help or have questions about creating a repayment plan for a rent debt, or want to talk to someone about their rights as a tenant.


Rent Debt Repayment Plan & Tenant Legal Help

Under the governor’s moratorium, renters have a right to ask for a repayment plan to pay rent that was due since March 2020 onward, which you could not pay because of the pandemic.

If you’re behind on rent, your landlord must offer you a payment plan.

In hopes of reducing the severity of a wave of evictions in the community, the King County Superior Court has established an Eviction Resolution Program (ERP) that will require problem solving steps in situations involving non-payment of rent so that there will be no need to file an eviction case.

If you are contacted by the King County Dispute Resolution Center, or Bellevue Conflict Resolution Center regarding a debt to your landlord, you have 14 days to respond to them. Failure to respond to this notice within 14 days may result in the filing of a summons and complaint for an unlawful detainer action with the court (eviction).

If you need help or have questions about creating a repayment plan or mediation with your landlord, contact one of the below offices.

King County Dispute Resolution center (county wide):
Submit the Tenant form linked here to schedule an appointment:

For additional questions or if you have issues with the form, contact them by email at, or phone at 206-443-9603.

Bellevue Conflict Resolution Center (Bellevue & Kirkland):
425-452-4091, or write:

Housing Justice Project (county wide)
(206) 267-7069

Eastside Legal Assistance Program:
To schedule a phone consultation, call our intake line at 425.747.7274 (English), or 425.620.2778 (español)

Outside King County?

Landlords and tenants can find details about the eviction resolution program, and how they can participate, on the statewide web site dedicated to the program here:

Eviction Resolution Pilot Program



King County Regional Access Points

Regional Access Points are entry points to Coordinated Entry For All. These entry points are resource centers where households experiencing homelessness can get help finding housing and other resources. Individuals and families experiencing homelessness may call ahead to schedule an appointment.

To schedule an appointment for a CEA Housing Triage Tool, households must contact a Regional Access Point directly.

Follow the link here to find and contact the Regional Access Point closest to you.

Regional Access Points



New Washington State Law: Landlords must give a “good” reason to end a tenancy or not renew a lease

A new state law says landlords must have a “good” or legal reason for not renewing a rental agreement, ending (terminating) a tenancy, or evicting a tenant. This new law (House Bill 1236) went into effect on May 10, 2021. The new law lists what counts as a “good” reason to ask a tenant to leave the rental unit or to evict a tenant.

Read more about the law at Washington Law Help.


Emergency Rent Assistance Programs

The organizations below may be able to provide some rent assistance or help with first month move in costs.


4 Tomorrow

4 Tomorrow offers financial resources to families and individuals in Bellevue paying up to nine months rental arrears and three future months.


Bellevue LifeSpring

Families in Bellevue or the Bellevue School District, and who have children under the age of 18 in the household are eligible to apply for their services. Send an email to


Catholic Community Services

Providing rent assistance for East King County. Call 206-328-5724.



Hopelink can help pay your rent during a time of financial need. If you are experiencing a short-term financial crisis due to unexpected expenses – such as medical bills, auto repair or loss of income – Hopelink may be able to help you pay one month’s rent so that you are able to stay in your home. In addition to preventing eviction, Hopelink’s Financial Assistance program may be able to help with move-in costs.

Financial Assistance appointments are currently being conducted by phone. To schedule an appointment, please call the Hopelink center in your area.


Issaquah Community Services

Rent, utility, and other assistance depending on needs for households in the Issaquah School District. Apply for assistance online at the link below, or call (425) 837-3125 between the hours of 9am and 11am, Monday through Friday.


Kent United Methodist

Can provide help with utilities, rent, or water bill once every 12 months. Appointments are usually held on Wednesdays. Applicants must live within the Kent School District boundaries, but do not have to have children.
Please call the church office at (253) 852-0993 on Monday mornings at 9:00 a.m. and set up an appointment.


King County Supportive Services for Veteran Families

Call 206-545-2344 to apply for assistance. They accept calls Monday through Friday, 9am-5pm.


Mary’s Place

Mary’s Place Rental Assistance Request Portal for families with children needing rent assistance:



Rent assistance, utility bills, application fees, food & hot meals. Call 1-888-404-6272.

Create an account and complete the interest form at the link here:


Multi-Service Center
MSC provides one-time rent assistance and limited resources for temporary emergencies such as utility bill assistance to individuals and families living within the city limits of Auburn, Burien, Federal Way, Kent, Renton, and SeaTac. MSC may also be able to assist residents of Fern Hill Terrace with one-time assistance.

Call 253-893-0024 on the first Tuesday of month between 9 a.m. to noon. Funds are limited. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of phone calls, you may receive a busy signal. Please keep trying to get through.


Complete an online application for your city at the link on this page:


Salvation Army

Provide emergency rent assistance for low income individuals and families. Call 206-447-9944 (opt. 5).


Sound Generation Pathways

Housing resources for seniors (over 60), adults with disabilities, one-time rental assistance.  Call 206-448-3110.


St Vincent de Paul

Call 206-767-6449 to apply for assistance. They accept calls Monday through Friday, from 8am-3pm.


United Way King County
If you live in King County, owe back rent at your current address, and household income is below 80% AMI, UWKC is able to provide up to 15 months of rental assistance, which could include up to 3 months of future rent.
Apply online at


YMCA of Greater Seattle (assistance for Auburn renters)

The YMCA of Greater Seattle can provide rent assistance to households in incorporated Auburn city limits. The applicant must be between the ages of 18 and 24, or have children under the ages of 18 in the household.

Email, or call 206-751-7130. Monday through Friday, 9am-5pm.


Eviction Legal Help

The organizations below can provide tenants access to an attorney after an eviction has been filed or served.


Northwest Justice Project

Tenants can apply online on the Northwest Justice Project website at the link here to begin the screening process for eviction help.



Emergency Shelter

The organizations below can provide emergency shelter to single adults or families.


King County Family Emergency Shelter Intake Line

Any family with children, in need of same day emergency shelter should call 206-245-1026.

This hotline is answered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year.

Mobile outreach services can meet with unsheltered family wherever they are in King County.

They can accommodate families that have pets with them.


Mary’s Place

Mary’s Place has 700 beds at six family centers, operating 24/7. Families with children needing emergency shelter can call 206-245-1026, or request help online:

Mary’s Place Outreach Request Portal:


New Bethlehem Project

Visit New Bethlehem Day Center (11920 NE 80th St Suite 100 Kirkland, WA 98033), Hours 10am-2pm Tues – Fri, for access to showers, laundry, meals and referrals to shelter and housing. Only requirement is that you be a family, that is with a minor child under age 18 or K-12 as part of the family unit.

You can also call them at 206-245-1026


Day Center at Sophia’s Place

Hours: Every day from 8 am to 3 pm

Services: Meals (breakfast and lunch), showers, laundry, computers, and access to service providers including medical, legal assistance, and job search

Location: Sophia’s Place
3032 Bellevue Way NE, Bellevue, WA 98004
Phone: 425. 896.7385

Bus route: 249


Helen’s Place Shelter

Hours: Open 24/7

Services: Meals (breakfast and lunch), showers, laundry, computers, case management and supportive services, and on-site mental health services

Location: Helen’s Place
8045 120th Avenue NE, Suite 200, Kirkland, WA 98033
Phone: 425.572.2178

Bus route: 250


Overlake Christian Church Safe Parking Program

OCC has established a Safe Parking ministry to provide a temporary and safe place for up to 15 single men and couples with no place to stay except in their vehicles.

Email the Safe Parking Team at, call (425) 895-5904 or stop by the church office when we’re open.



Puget Sound Energy

PSE have launched an assistance program for our customers who may have been impacted by the pandemic.

Visit the program webpage for eligibility and application information:

City of Bellevue Utility Rate and Tax Relief

The City of Bellevue has several programs to help low-income persons living within the service area of Bellevue Utilities. For more information, please call 425-452-5285 or email




Hopelink food banks are currently providing pre-packed boxes of food at all five locations, as well as some fresh items. During each visit, you will be able to pick up enough food for at least 21 meals. You do not need to call in advance.


Household Essentials

Essentials First

Offer four types of kits: Essentials, Hygiene, Warmth, and Cold. The kits, in various sizes, are filled with critical products and resource information. They are gifted to people experiencing homelessness and those near homeless, refugees, and those experiencing financial insecurity.

Phone: (425)-502-7768, Monday-Thursday 11am-3pm.



The Child Care Financial Assistance Program (CCFA)

The CCFA program is available to residents of Bellevue or Redmond. The program provides financial assistance with childcare, with the amount of the assistance being set by the family’s size and income.



King County Public Health

Free and Low cost health insurance, Health services, Rx Discount Program, Food and cellphone assistance, Energy Assistance, Ora-Lift card
Renton clinic 206-477-0100 Bellevue clinic 206-477-2335

Information on local, state and federal programs and resources that are available for undocumented residents living in King County


Sea-Mar Community Health Centers

A community-based organization providing comprehensive health, human, housing, educational and cultural services to diverse communities, specializing in service to Latinos in Washington state. Sea Mar proudly serves all persons without regard to race, ethnicity, immigration status, gender, or sexual orientation, and regardless of ability to pay for services.

Bellevue location: 425-460-7140

Kent location: 206-436-6380


Resources for Seniors

East King County Resource Guide for Older Adults and Their Families

The East King County Resource Guide for Older Adults and Their Families is published as a community service by the City of Kirkland Senior Council, the City of Kirkland and EvergreenHealth.

The guide can be found here: Resource Guide PDF


Resources for Refugees & Immigrants

World Relief Seattle

Assistance for refugees and immigrants.

Call 253-277-1121. 


Other Community Resources

Domestic Violence (DVHopeline, entire Puget Sound region): Call 877-737-0242

Domestic Violence (Lifewire, East and North King County): Call 425-746-1940, or 800-827-8840

Crisis Line: Call 206-431-3222 or 800-273-8255

Veterans Crisis Line: Call 800-272-8255, then extension #1.

Drugs & Alcohol: Call 206-722-3700.

Pet food assistance: Seattle Humane’s Pet Food Bank collects and distributes pet food donations for pets belonging to low-income seniors, families in crisis, and any community members in need.